Hello everyone! Welcome back to my blog. I hope everyone had a nice holiday break. I have been taking some time to reflect on what I want to do in the new year. I have been looking to friends/family/bloggers/etc. to get new ideas for this year. And hope to hear from you as well, on what you might like to see.
With that, I think one of the first things I would like to talk about is decluttering! I know it’s sort of cliché to talk about at the beginning of a new year. But I think it’s a big thing to do this time of year and I would love to share my tips for it.
- Focus on one room/area/drawer/etc. at a time. Don’t try to do it all at once. It can be overwhelming then. And you might actually not declutter anything if you try going through everything at once. I’m speaking from experience here, as well countless friends telling me this is their #1 piece of advice.
- Don’t feel like you have to declutter like everyone else – not everyone needs to do a huge purge, maybe you just need to clean out a drawer. Do what you feel is comfortable.
- BUT be honest if you use the item it or not- and if you don’t get rid of it.
- If you’re unsure of getting rid of something put it in spot, you’ll see it, and see if you use it- if you don’t, it’s time to go.
- Recycle/donate/resell/give to a friend -there are so many options to do with your things you are decluttering- don’t just throw them out. (POST TO FOLLOW ON BEST PLACES TO TAKE THINGS)
- If you need some help and inspiration look at decluttering shows like Marie Kondo’s or even YouTube. I find that watching something like this always helps me get inspired to declutter, as well as tips for tackling different areas.
- Seasonal items- pack them away when not using to help give you more room. Trying to keep everything out at once is overwhelming and you may forget you have certain items.
- Bins! So important to have to organize everything when decluttering. You want to be able to pack things away and store them properly.
- Label things- I have decided to purchase a label maker to help me keep track of what is in my bins. Even when I keep similar things together, I still forget what is in a bin and labeling it, I think will help with that.
- Have fun with it! Declutter with a friend/play your favorite music/dance while doing/drink wine/etc. Whatever you can to make it enjoyable. Make decluttering something you want to be doing instead of a chore.
Let me know what you think and if you have any more tips!