In about a month I will be moving and for the next few weeks I will be sharing my moving journey on my blog. For my first moving post I am going to share my pre-moving steps. I start these about a month and a half to a month before my move to help ease the dreadful task of moving. I have moved quite a bit in the last 10 years so I think I have finally found a good routine.
- Plan how you want to move. I think this is an important first step to take before every move. Plan when you want to move, if you want to hire movers or not, and the timeframe you want to move everything in. Do you do it all in a day or over a week? Having a plan in place will ease an already stressful situation.
- Start saving boxes. We all order items from Amazon and instead of getting rid of those boxes, save them for the move. Also try to save any packing material that may come with these boxes, it makes it way easier to pack delicate items. If you need more boxes try getting some from your local grocery stores or even work. There’s usually boxes you can grab for the taking. And if you want to get something that might last longer than 1 move, plastic bins you can grab at Target or Walmart are also a nice option.
- Purge, purge, purge. I always start going through all my things and get rid of anything I am not using or don’t want to move. I think this can make it so much easier to pack. And I think it is a much better idea to do it before you start packing so you don’t feel the panic of doing it while packing.
- Organize while purging is another step I take the time to do. It helps me pack much more efficiently and then I can label boxes better. I usually do this about a month before I move.
- Then I like to start packing all my non-essential items. It makes me feel so much more prepared to move if I start packing in advance. Then towards my move date I don’t feel as rushed. I usually start packing non-essentials 3 weeks out.
I’ll share more of my moving process as the weeks go on. Let me know if you have any tips for moving? I’d love any advice for making this whole thing a lot easier.