First post of 2021! A little delayed but I took the first two months of the new year to focus on some things that needed attention. I really wanted to work on some projects at home. One big project was a big declutter! After being in my current place for almost a year now I feel like I have the feel of the home finally. And I’ve made some changes to my intial design of it all.
The one big change included new dressers. We originally had two Hemnes dressers from Ikea. They matched and held a lot of clothes which was great. But once we moved into this place we realized they were too large. They’re very tall dressers and depth wise very wide. They took up way to much space. We hunted around and found one dresser from Wayfair and another we found second-hand. We wanted more of a mid-century look.
Once we got the dressers in we realized we had too many clothes and a lot of it we were not wearing. So the declutter started. This quaratine I really feel like I have mastered the art of decluttering. I never realized how much stuff I have that I don’t need or truly love.
Below are my tips that have really helped me with decluttering and I hope they help you too!
- Watch shows dedicated to decluttering. It will set the mood and inspire you to get rid of things. Marie Kondo is favorite of mine, but there are so many others. I think this totally helps me and I find I purge a lot more when I watch these shows beforehand. It inspires you to get rid of things you truly do not need.
- Pick which area you want to focus on first. Don’t do it all at once. It will create a disaster and you will not be happy. I have overwhelmed myself by trying do purge my clothes and the kitchen at the same time, so I always pick one area to focus on.
- Sort through it all and ask “Does it spark joy?” I really think this is a great question to ask yourself. It is a simple question to ask but it does make you think if you need to keep the item or not.
- Once you’ve decided what to get rid of start organizing what you’re keeping. If you need help figuring out how to organize I highly recommend the show “Get Organized with The Home Edit”. This show gives you simple ways to organize your stuff that work. These ladies have great tips!
- I always try to declutter, organize, and put things away all on the same day. That way I don’t lose my steam. Sometimes we can get so overwhelmed by the whole process of decluttering we stop before putting everything away. But I promise you will feel so much better once the whole task is complete.
Let me know if you have any tips for decluttering!