A few weeks ago…actually back in February I wrote about my pre-moving tips. And now after finally moving into my new place I have some more tips I’d like to share. Because moving is truly an art, that I don’t think anyone has mastered.
- Think you have enough boxes or bins- get more, many more. You might think you have enough but you don’t, at least thats what happened to me. Now thankfully we had some overlap between places and could unpack and then reuse the boxes, but that isn’t always the case. The more boxes the merrier.
- Hire movers if you can afford them. I had movers for the first time this move and the definitely made the difference. And this made a big difference in the efficiency of being to move everything, especially the larger items. (Sidenote: I had to move during the pandemic and thankfully my movers were still able to come. They wore gloves and I only had them move the very large pieces. I had moved most of our small items before they arrived.)
- Pack a bag with all the essentials you’ll need. A friend mentioned this as a great idea and I’m glad I followed her advice. I used my travel kit I always have ready to go and made sure to pack some clothes and shoes in a bag. Then I packed up everything else and was able to find all my necessities like makeup and medicine after getting to the new place.
- Overlap between places can help make moving less stressful. Lucklily enough there was about 5 days of overlap between me getting the keys to my new place and moving out of the old one. It definitely reduced my stress and helped me clean both places.
- This is for all my pet parents- but have a plan of attack for moving your little furry friends. Moving one cat can be stressful enough but moving three is….well purrfectly awful. Haha see what I did there? Before the move we decided what day the cats were going to the new place and made a list of everything we needed to bring. I also packed things that smelled like me and knew the cats would want. A new place can seem very scary to them, but having a familiar smell can help ease the stress.
I hope you enjoyed my art of moving tips! I think for now I’m going to enjoy the new place and never move again (at least for now). Let me know if you have any tips!